Sunday, April 22, 2012

Needle Sculpted flat faced doll

Supplies:
     double stretch fabric (doe swede) 
     acrylic paints
     iron-on interfacing
     small pompoms
     med pompom
     batting


When making a baby doll or any flat faced doll I have always had a problem with the flat face.  I have discovered how to have a needle sculpted face on a flat faced doll.





Here we have the beginnings of a flat faced doll.  Some call this a baseball head.




What I have done is to take 2 small pompoms and a med. pompom and glue them together in the shape of a natural nose.  Then I placed batting above this and glued these to the back side of the face fabric.  Note: I use fabric glue for this and very little of that.


When you turn the fabric back over to the right side note where the nose is aligned.  I glued it so that I could roll it up or down while needle sculpting the face once it is put together and stuffed.  As you can see I also painted the basics of the face while it was flat.  This makes painting the face much easier.




At this point I place iron-on interfacing on the back side of the face piece.  This will stabilize the face as well as allow you to sculpt the nose without loosing the shape in the overall stuffing of the head.




Iron facing to back of face allowing the area for the nose to be free from adhering to the lining.  I iron 1" out from the pompoms and batting.




I use hot iron and press not iron the facing onto the face.



Press the facing to the side pieces before sewing them together.  The facing will be offset a bit when ironed on so I trim it to the shape of the face piece.



Now the head is ready to sew together and stuff.  




No comments: